Wednesday 26 September 2012

Our New Place

I have been getting pestered to tell you more about the new apartment so here goes...


We are close to two shopping malls and the Old Strathcona area which is where I can find all of my specialty butcher shops, markets, antiques and boutiques.  The coolest thing about Old Strathcona, though, is that it has the old train station, the public library and centers for the preforming arts. Although downtown has the big theaters and attractions, Old Strathcona is where you can find the stuff that is not yet mainstream. In fact, we had just missed The Fringe Festival when we arrived. Old Strathcona Hosts the oldest and largest Fringe Theater Festival in North America.

Obviously, we don't have a car yet.  Until we do, we have to use Edmonton's Transit System that takes me past several great places to shop on my way to and from work. I also pass through the down town core via train and bus. I do think that I would miss the spectacular views from the river valley at first light and dusk if we were to get a car. 

Our new apartment is in an older neighbourhood with mature trees, although most places in Edmonton have streets full of trees to be honest. Although Doug and I have only enjoyed a few evening walks together, I am sure it will become a common thing for us again, as it used to be.





Old School Heat
Our new apartment is small and vintage. Although, I was counting on small, the vintage part was a fun surprise during viewings. Unfortunately, they did do a minor reno on it before we moved in, so my ancient bird wallpaper is gone, but then again, so is the carpet!! Hardwood and tile makes this place easier for my cat and my allergies to get along.

Furnishing the new place is going to be a fun process, but I expect it will also take some time. There are a few antique markets near by that I want to go to to get a nice mix of old with the new stuff. Unfortunately I had to work through one of the biggest antique sales of the year, but I'm sure I can sniff out some deals regardless.










Our closet is a little small, so I will need to have more bedroom furniture than I had originally planned on. Not that I mind shopping, but I like an empty room to dream in.

 Each room has a large east-facing window that the cat has been enjoying.
We have been enjoying bright and sunny days and dark nights.

The Creeper!
We also have, what I call, a water closet! Oddly enough, the bathroom is a tub and shower with a sink, a generous window, and a tall rad that sits just below the towel rack to warm and dry the draped towels. The toilet is in a separate, windowless room that vents out to the bathroom. Unfortunately, just like the house, Moo moo must always be a part of what you're doing in there!

Although the building is still being renovated, I am liking it quite a bit. It is in such an ideal spot that I doubt we will move far from this area, if and when we do move.


I will have to end here, as I have a run to do. Today I think I will pick a new path. Any suggestions?






No comments:

Post a Comment